The stone adhesive is a chemical bond used to fix tiles, stones for walls, and floors. The stone adhesive glue can hold tiles excellently and are durable too. They can fix stones on metal surfaces also. It is often a gel-like substance-free solvent, available either in two or three components having a base of resin, which works as the sticky power. There is also a modified polyamine present, which acts as the hardener.
The following characteristics are the properties of the product :
- It comes in natural color; at times, it is transparent also.
- It has got the right non-drooping property.
- It does not shrink much when the hardening begins. This ensures low tension in the layers of bonding.
- It has a weather-resistant bond.
- It has got a very proper dimensional stability that exists in the bonding layer.
- It has got minimal tendency to deplete.
- It has a good bond over the concrete because of its alkali stability.
- Being a solvent-free product, it competently suits the bonding of gas-impassable materials.
- It has a very high penetration power, which helps it to go deep and fill cracks.
- It also fills little holes and gives finishing to the surface.
- It takes 24 hours approximately to harden.
- It has a slight tendency to discolor.
- It is weather-resistant as well as has a food-safe wax which is tested properly.
The following are the critical features of stone adhesives:
- It can be used to fix tiles and gravel in the kitchen, floor, stairs, tombs, monuments, food areas, and industries.
- It can act as a marble adhesive, adhesive for granite, limestone, concrete ashlar, carbon fiber, terrazzo, and glass.
- It acts as a glue that is used as a filler.
- It has long durability, which enhances and laminates surfaces.
- It can also fix stitches, pores, and even the most delicate hair cracks.
- It has a base of resin that gives it proper UV stability.
- As it hardens slowly, it has got an excellent polishing ability.
- It is a liquid adhesive which generally comes as transparent but can be colored according to specifications and requirements.
Areas Where it is Used
This adhesive is generally used in industries where the stonework is done. It strengthens the pores and fissured natural rock slabs. It also fixes concretes and concrete ashlars by improving the quality of their surface. It is also used in an assortment with the spun glass fabric to reinforce brittle rock slabs. The hardening can be understood with a yellow color when some UV light is thrown on it, or little warmth is produced.
You can store this at a cold temperature in a sealed condition for two years approximately. Make sure you don't open the can and keep it for a long time. It would be best if you used this fast; otherwise, the beneficial properties of it shall be lost.
Instructions to Use It
Here are specific instructions enlisted that can be followed while using this adhesive:
- The rocks that are to be used must be calibrated previously instead of their thickness. They should be cleaned and dried also.
- Prewarming of the surface needs to be done at 60°C to 70°C. This will help to increase the penetrating capacity of the product.
- The mixing should be appropriately done following the methods. Four parts of Component A measured by weight, should be mixed totally with one aspect of Component B. For example, 100g of component A should be combined with 25g of component B. Seven parts of component A, measured by volume, can be mixed with two parts of component B. For example, 175ml of component A will have to be combined with 50ml of component B. Similarly, more details can be mixed as per the requirement.
- Some coloring pigments or gravel inks can be used to color if required.
- The mixture prepare can be used for 20-30 minutes at 20°C and applied to the surfaces using a proper fine-toothed spreader. You need to increase the application layers if the area is larger or the absorption level is more. The cracks present must be closed before the application of this mixture.
- The surfaces' polishing can be done after 24 hours approximately when the slab is kept at room temperature. Though after 3 hours at 60°C, the pre-warmed natural stones can be polished.
- The pressure during polishing should not exceed 1.5. It should stay within 1 and 1.5.
- The tools used can be cleaned with dilution.
- For hardening, warmth is the best thing as it faster the process. Cold slows down the process.
- Before eliminating the container or can, empty it.
For safety measures, read all the instructions carefully and correctly before using the product.
To Be Kept in Mind
There are a few things that should be kept in mind while you are using this product. They are:
- The ideal properties of the mixture can. Be attained only when the exact and perfect mixing is done in a proportionate amount. If the proportion exceeds, then the hardening will affect that of the plasticizer.
- The color of the surface that is being treated may become deep either to a greater extent or lesser extent depending upon the type of stone in use. The deepened color may be seen in the fissured area more. Thus before using it, you should test it on a sample to understand the effect.
- While mixing the components A and B by extracting them from the containers, use distinct vessels.
- If you see that the resin has turned into jelly or is thickening, then you must know that it cannot be used further.
- To get the best surface, you need to use good quality grinding and polishing.
- Temperature below 15°C is not suitable for this product because the hardening will not be sufficient.
- To remove hardened resin, no solvents will work. You can only rely on high temperatures, more than 200°C.
- When the hardening is complete, the resin will not harm if it was mixed and used correctly.