Homeowners often face the conundrum of which material to choose for their house remodelling especially considering the many choices available at their disposal. Whether you’re renovating your home, in the process of a self-build or just looking to the future, wood is still the most popular choice of material for construction of windows and doors. Although uPVC and aluminium have gained in popularity in recent years, wood still manages to retain its rustic charm.wood still manages to retain its rustic charm
Post your Requirement
Enquire Now for UPVC Windows
Locate: Wooden Windows Manufacturers in your Area
Thanks to its thermal, electrical, acoustic, aesthetic and mechanical properties, wood has never gone out of style and still remains in vogue with homeowners and builders alike. Through this article, we attempt to shed some light on the pros and cons of wooden doors and windows so that the homeowner is better equipped to make an informed decision.
Suggested Article: Front Door Design Ideas for Indian Homes
Pros and Cons of Wooden Windows and Doors.
- One of the primary reasons why people opt for wooden windows and doors is because nothing can quite simply beat the elegance and warmth wood tends to exude. Natural materials such as wood have a rich look and feel attached to it that remains unmatched. Owing to the timeless beauty and ubiquitous charm, several other materials try to even mimic the look of wood. Why settle for cheap, ungainly imitations when the real thing is available! Moreover, wood can be customised with a coat of paint in several colours. Wood isn’t just compatible with paint, it embraces it.
Enquire Now for Wooden Windows
- Several materials are prone to a change in size and volume owing to temperature changes. Wood is a bad conductor of heat and one of the best insulators available in the market today. In the long run, the efficiency gains you stand to get out of wood can help save big bucks especially as it can keep your home warm during winters and cool during the summers. They are also highly efficient at keeping out most sounds as compared to other materials. Additionally, because of the high R-values, wooden doors and windows are not affected by temperature changes. Wood being a bad conductor of heat and electricity, automatically makes it less prone to condensation as well.
Enquire Now for Wooden Doors
- Wood mandates less maintenance and tends to have a long life especially if good quality timber is used. With proper and timely care, wood will last a lifetime. Additionally, wood is not prone to rust, a make or break factor for many locations especially those with high humidity levels. Wood does not chip or crack easily nor do they get dented as compared to steel frames.Enquire Now for Window Frame & Profiles
- Wooden windows and doors can be custom made to fit any size opening or trimmed to fit a specific size doorway. Consequently, wood is a material that is easy to work with and can be made to fit your precise needs. Wood is a sought after material for doors and windows because it can be easily shaped in the way you want.
- Locate : Wooden Door Manufacturers in your Area
- Suggested Article : uPVC Windows Vs Aluminium Windows Vs Wooden Windows
- Wood can last forever but only if it undergoes periodic maintenance. Paint and coating are required to ensure it doesn’t swell or shrink due to moisture. Treatment is needed to ensure it doesn’t start showing its age and to prevent rotting as well. Cracking or chipping of the wooden doors and windows can lead to moisture coming in contact with the wood surface thus leading to further decay or formation of mould and fungi. Even though varnish and paint can be easily applied on wood, excessive moisture can cause bubbles to form on the surface.
- Undoubtedly wood’s worst enemy, insects especially termites tend to attack and inhibit untreated wood. Additionally, wood must be periodically retreated by brushing or a variety of other methods to prevent insects from drilling holes for laying their eggs.
- Although wooden doors prove to be cost effective in the long run, they tend to have a higher initial cost of procurement as compared to other materials. One should not compromise by buying cheaper varieties as cheap wood requires more maintenance and may not last the distance either. The cost of good quality wood is very high which makes them expensive as compared to metal frames but cheaper in the comparison of aluminium frames.
- Suggested Article : uPVC Doors Vs Wooden Doors Vs Aluminium Doors