WPC stands for wood plastic composite. This is a hybrid material made of wood fiber or wood flour and thermoplastics such as polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride, polypropylene and polylactic acid. WPC material also contains filler material which can be inorganic or ligno-cellulosic in nature. WPC is a good replacement for natural wood and combines the benefit of both wood and plastic. Applications include wpc exterior wall cladding, wpc railings, wpc fences, wpc window and door frames, wpc outdoor decking floors, wpc outdoor furniture, etc. WPC was first used in North America for various applications. Here we will discuss about the main characteristics of wpc wall panels.
WPC Wall Panel Composition
The standard composition of a wpc exterior wall panel is as follows.
- Eco friendly treated wood powder or wood flour make up about 60% of the composition. Wood flour is pulverised wood with particle sizes equal to sand or sawdust. High quality wood flour or powder is obtained from hardwood species. Wood fibre can also be used instead of wood flour. Wood fiber is made of cellulose and is extracted from trees. The fibres are processed before being used to make wpc panels.
- HDPE or High Density Polyethylene is usually used in making wpc outdoor wall panel. It makes up about 30% of the composition. HDPE is light in weight but exhibits high strength. It is resistant against impacts and also resists rotting, mould growth and insects. It can also be moulded easily into any size and shape. Apart from HDPE, other kinds of thermoplastic polymers such as Low Density Polyethylene, polypropylene or polyvinyl chloride can also be used to make wpc wall panels.
- Chemical additives make up 10% of the composition of the wpc wall panel. The chemical additives include anti-UV agent, anti-plant agent, stabilisers, coupling agent, lubricants, reinforcing agent, anti-oxidation agent, fillers and pigments.
The different components are blended together and put in an injection moulder, compression moulder or an extruder.
WPC Wall Panel Designs
The wpc wall cladding looks and feels like natural wood. The panels come in various colours such as brownish red, orange red, dark brown, dark grey, black, etc. The natural grained surface texture and the colour palette give an apperance of natural wood such as oak, teak, mahogany, walnut, cherry, cedar, maple, etc. The surface of the panel has a brushed, sanded or embossed apperance. Thus, wpc wall panels exhibit the aesthetics of natural wood without any disadvantages associated with wood.
WPC Wall Panel Installation
The wpc wall panel installation process is very easy. No surface preparation and hacking is required. The panels can be just added to the wall directly. Screws or pvc sleeves can be used for installing the panels on the walls. No framework is required for installation.
WPC Wall Panel Price List
|Types of WPC Wall Panel
|Mitaso Wall Cladding PUF Panel
||Rs 79/Square Feet
|PVC Rectangle Wall Panel, Thickness: 8 mm
|PVC Wall Rectangle Panel, Size: 2.5 x 2.5 feet
|PVC Water Proof Wall Ceiling Panel
||Rs 70/Square Feet
|Beige Color PVC Wall Panel, Thickness: 10-25 mm
||Rs 75/Square Feet
|PVC Designer Rectangle Wall Panel, Thickness: 5 mm
The wpc wall panels in India come in a wide range of prices which depend upon the length, thickness and the quality of the panel. The wpc wall panel price is decided on the basis of square feet covered by the panel or its dimensions.
There are many reputed manufacturers of wpc wall cladding in India. Superior characteristics and incredible designs distinguish the wpc wall panels made by such companies.
WPC Wall Panel Benefits
- WPC wall panels withstand rain, snow and blazing sunlight during hot summer days without fading or suffering any other kind of damage.
- WPC wall panels are environment friendly because recyclable materials are used in their construction. Non toxic chemicals are used as additives which makes the panels safe for humans and animals. The wpc panels are also non-polluting in nature.
- Waterproof nature of WPC makes it a suitable to be used as exterior wpc wall cladding for buildings located in moist environments.
- WPC wall panels are highly resistant against fire. Thus, the cladding keeps the building safe against accidental fire.
- WPC panels are resistant against rotting, termites, moths and corrosion due to the various chemicals used in them.
- WPC panels are known for their high strength and impact resistance. The panels do not warp or deform due to superior hardness. The dimensional stability is much more than natural wood. They are also resistant against splintering.
- WPC can be easily moulded into different sizes and shapes. This is the reason why wpc panels are available in a range of sizes and shapes to suit different kinds of walls.
- WPC cladding provides excellent heat and sound insulation.
- WPC panels are very easy to clean and maintain.
- WPC panels have high thermal stabillity.
- WPC panels are light in weight. Foamed WPC panels which are even more light in weight are also being manufactured.
- WPC panels contain modifiers, stabilisers, foaming agents and other elements which are mixed in accurate ratios. Accurate mixing of the elements make the panels perfect in terms of quality.
WPC wall panels are being constantly improved by adding newer additives which enhance colour stability and resistance against moulds and fungus. Better coupling agents to improve bonding between wood and resin to enhance tensile strength are also being used. Superior flame retardants and mineral fillers are being used in the newest varieties of wpc wall panels.