Vitrified tile is basically a non-porous ceramic tile, these tiles are most commonly used for vitrified flooring as a replacement to marble and granite flooring and are available in a vast variety of designs and colours. Vitrified tiles is made by hydraulic pressing a mixture of clay, silica, quartz, and feldspar. Thus creating a Vitrified tile which are hard with low porosity.
Post your Requirement
The advantages and disadvantages of vitrified tiles are –
Advantages of Vitrified Tiles
- Vitrified tiles are formed by the process of vitrification hence it is a very strong and homogeneous material. Clay is combined with feldspar and quartz , all the materials change to a molten liquid glass sate and then solidify to make vitrified tiles a very hard material.
- Vitrified tiles are scratch and stain resistant.
- These tiles can be used for both indoor and outdoor application.In the indoors they can be used in residential flooring , wall tiles in kitchens and bathrooms, for outdoors they are highly suitable in high traffic areas.
- They have a consistent design , pattern and texture .
- Vitrified tiles are easy to lay and are easy to maintain.
- Vitrified tiles are stronger than ceramic and porcelain tiles and can be used for high traffic areas and residential areas.
Enquire Now for Porcelain Cladding
Disadvantages of Vitrified Tiles
- They are more expensive than ceramic and porcelain tiles.
- The tiles should be treated with care other the edges might crack and chipped.
Types of Vitrified Tiles
Vitrified Tiles are composed of quartz, silica, clay, and feldspar. These materials are combined together with the process of vitrification. The tiles are manufactured by the Hydraulic press method.
Vitrified tiles could be segregated into various types depending upon the manufacturing process. They can be classified into –
- Double Charged Vitrified Tiles
In this process, two kinds of color are fed into the machine resulting in a very thick layer of a double-colored design on the tile. This layer of color and design is around 3-4mm thick. These tiles are good for high traffic areas.
- Full Body Vitrified Tiles
In Full body vitrified tiles while designing the color is not only on the top but seeps through the whole tile. In this method, the scratches on the tiles become invisible because the tile is homogeneous and colored throughout. Full body vitrified tiles are suggested for heavy traffic areas.
- Soluble Salt Vitrified Tiles
In Soluble Vitrified tiles, liquid color screen printing is done on the tile before the tile is fired. Soluble salts are used to penetrate into the vitrified tile and give colour, designs, and create patterns on the tile.
- Glazed Body Vitrified Tile
Glazed body vitrified tiles are tiles that are finished with a layer of liquid glass. The glazed body adds extra shine to the tile and protects the tile from any kind of stains.
Double Charge Vitrified Floor Tiles
With a plethora of tile options available in the market, it is common dilemma for the consumers to make the right decision and avoid regret over wrong choice. Interestingly, double charge vitrified floor tiles are still the most preferred and commonly used tile by consumers especially in commercial projects and also residential areas. These tiles are manufactured with two layers of tiles pressed together with a thickness of 3 to 4 mm for the upper layer body. Due to their sturdy and durable nature, double charged tiles are widely used in spaces like museums, libraries, hospitals, malls, educational institutions, restaurants, etc.
Advantages of Double Charge Vitrified Floor Tiles
- Double charged tiles are long lasting as compared to other tiles
- They can withstand heavy foot traffic without revealing any signs of wear and tear
- These tiles have a homogeneous surface
- They are stain-resistant and do not collect dirt and grime easily
- Double charged tiles do not need a strict maintenance
- These tiles have the textile that resemble natural marble
- They can retain their shine for a long time which add to their aesthetic appeals
- These tiles are easy to install.
Disadvantage of Double Charge Vitrified Floor Tiles
- Double charged tiles are not available in a variety of complex design patterns due to technology limitations.