Doors come in a plethora of styles and designs such as panel door, revolving door, flush door, glass door, etc. Here we will discuss the various types of flush doors. However, before proceeding, the answer to the question what is flush door needs to be given. Flush door is completely smooth on the both the sides. It does not have panels and mouldings which the makes the surface flat. A flush door has a wooden frame over which plywood, MDF or natural wood is fixed on both the sides. The hollow parts are filled with cardboard material. The flush door is usually imparted a laminate, veneer or paint finishing in various designs and colours. The thickness of flush doors range from 25mm to 40mm. Now that we know about flush door meaning, let’s discuss the various types of flush doors.
Enquire Now for Flush Doors
Types of Flush Doors
The following types of flush doors are commonly used in homes and other types of buildings.
Solid core flush door
Cellular core flush door
Hollow core flush door
Solid core flush door is made using hard timber, hence the name. Combination of particle board, MDF, laminated core, cross band, face wood veneer, block board, etc. is used to manufacture solid core flush doors. Stiles and top and bottom rails of more than 7.5 cm width are also present in the solid core flush doors. The frame is made of timber wood and hard wood lipping is done around the frame to impart more strength and stability to the door. The width of the lipping is always equal to the thickness of the core. Solid core flush doors are heavy and possess high strength. Due to high strength and good sound insulation, solid core flush doors are mainly used as exterior doors for homes and other properties.
Enquire Now for Laminated Doors
Cellular core flush door has a frame constructed of plywood or wooden battens. The width of each batten is less than 25 mm. The shutter is made by gluing plywood sheets or cross bands and face veneers on both the faces of the core under pressure. The thickness of the plywood sheet is always more than 3 mm.
Enquire Now for Veneer Sheets
Hollow core flush door is hollow inside with honeycomb structure for support. The frame consists of stiles along with top, intermediate and bottom rails. The spaces between stiles and rails are filled by wooden battens. Plywood sheets or cross bands and face veneers are glued to the core under pressure. The thickness of the plywood sheet is more than 6 mm. Hollow core flush doors are light in weight and are less strong than solid core flush doors.
Advantages of flush doors
- Flush door has a simple design which is easy to construct.
- Flush door has a smooth and even surface which does not split, peel or rot. Hence, there is no need for periodic refinishing.
- Flush door is resistant against scratches and stains.
- Flush door is resistant against impacts due to high strength.
- Flush door is treated with chemicals which makes it resistant against termites and general decay.
- Flush door has minimum joints which makes it easy to maintain.
- Flush door is resistant against humidity and other weather elements.
- Flush door is a good sound insulator.
- Flush door is easy to install and requires less accessories for installation.
- Flush door comes in a plethora of decorative finishes such as laminate, veneer and paint.
- Flush door is cost effective because the materials used in making it are not very expensive.
Difference between wooden and flush door
- Wooden doors are entire made of wood and come in various types such as panel doors, glazed doors, etc. Flush doors, on the other hand, are made of timber frame covered by plywood or MDF on both the sides.
- Wooden doors have many designs and grooves on the surface in which dirt can accumulate. Hence, cleaning takes a lot of time and efforts. Flush doors, on the other hand, have very smooth shutters with no place for dirt to accumulate. Hence, they are easy to clean.
- Wooden doors score more in terms of strength as compared to flush doors.
- Wooden doors are more aesthetically appealing than flush doors.
- Wooden doors are more expensive than flush doors.
- Wooden doors come in more designs than flush doors because carving can be done on the surface.
Enquire Now for Panel Doors