Traditional Clay Bricks and Fly Ash bricks are widely used in construction of the external and internal walls of buildings.
Differentiate between Clay Bricks and Fly Ash Bricks
The characteristics that differentiate between these bricks are –
- Fly ash bricks are of cement color while the colour of Clay bricks differs from burnt red to light brown depending on the type of clay used for manufacture of the bricks.
- Fly Ash bricks are cast in moulds hence are always of uniform shape. Clay bricks are handmade causing slight difference in their shape and size.
- Fly Ash bricks have a very smooth finish hence plaster is not required on the bricks to create a smooth surface. Clay bricks require plastering.
- Clay bricks are more porous than Fly ash bricks.
- Fly ash bricks are lighter in weight and less costly than Clay bricks.
- Fly ash bricks are made of waste materials which come from the combustion of coal in thermal power plants. Clay bricks are made of clay which is collected from fertile land or the top soil. This is the prime reason that makes Fly ash bricks more preferable than Clay bricks.
Suggested Read: Advantages and Disadvantages of Fly ash in Concrete
Fly Ash Bricks