Earlier, solid wood was used to create functional and decorative objects for a home. The furniture can be considered as a decorative and functional piece that was made of wood. It lasted really long. The introduction of plywood which refers to the several thin layers of wood or wooden sheets glued together made woodworking easier. It was put to use for different purposes making it a versatile material. Then, what is marine plywood? The marine plywood is a type of plywood with features like resistance to delamination and fungal attack that make them even more versatile than the plywood in terms of where there can be used and also in terms of durability.
Post your Requirement
Enquire Now for Plywood
What are the types of Marine Plywood?
The types of marine plywood include
- High-density overlay (HDO)
- Medium density overlay(MDO)
The grading s done on the basis of three important considerations such as
- The type of wood used to make the inside veneers and faces of the ply
- The quality of waterproof glue used
- The absence of voids
The BS1088 which is the British standard is what is the marine ply standards that plywood manufacturers worldwide adhere to, for manufacturing quality marine ply. You also have the BS 6566 standards that are slightly lower than the high-grade ply in term of the quality of the veneers used in the manufacturing of the ply. However, the quality of glue used is the same and the absence of a void is also ensured.
Though most of the marine ply manufactured to conform to the British standards, only a few manufacturers take the trouble to get their produce certified by the Lloyds of London certification. This gives way to certain exterior plywoods being sold as marine plywood thought they are not actually made of hardwood veneers making it essential to buy quality marine ply from a reputable dealer to buy quality plywood you pay for.
Enquire Now for Marine Plywood
Suggested Read: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Plywood
Features of Marine Plywood
The distinct features include
- The ability to retain its integrity even when in contact with water.
- The special phenolic plastic resin with what the marine plywood is made of renders the surface of the ply waterproof making it moisture resistant.
- The marine ply sheets feature a smooth and poreless surface that actually prevents water from seeping through to the layers of wood which might cause delamination in the case of an ordinary plywood.
- Though hardwood sheet is what marine ply is made of, it is highly flexible making it an ideal material for use in the exteriors as well as interiors and also regions where there is a chance for contact with water.
- It is easier to shape a marine ply because of its ability to maintain its structural integrity.
- The marine ply also does not bend, snap or break under minor pressure.
What is Marine Ply used for?
As mentioned earlier, marine ply is highly versatile. The void-free arrangement of wooden ply, as well as the adhesive used, are formulated to aid even water submersion it can be used for almost any purpose that requires the use of plywood in the interiors as well as exteriors of the home without having to worry about moisture or contact with water. The other purposes for what marine plywood is used for include
- Making boats
- Putting up a lake platform or a fishing platform
- Building boat docks
- Bathroom and kitchen walls and subflooring
- Planter boxes
- Making outdoor benches
- Outdoor furniture
Enquire Now for Modular Kitchen
Marine Grade plywood Vs other Plywoods
The Marine ply is made of high-quality wood. The number of plies used in the manufacturing is usually double that of other plywoods and could range between 10-12 layers. Only hardwood plies are used in the manufacturing process. A lot of care goes behind the making of a marine ply in that the planks or sheets of timber are arranged and joined in such a way that there is no crevice. This feature is supposed to be the reason behind the plywood’s capacity to resist delamination even when in contact with water. Similarly, the glue used in Marine plywood is a synthetic plastic resin which is phenolic formaldehyde resin. This makes the plywood waterproof. Therefore, the type of wood used in the manufacturing process, as well as the type of glue, spells what is the difference between plywood and marine plywood.