Cooking is an art that those who love to wish to nurture and those who abhor are awed about. An ideal kitchen with all essential equipment and cooking materials is a heavenly abode for those who are interested in cooking. But, there is a lot of equipment in the kitchen that can be quite dangerous. You need to make the kitchen safe by observing certain rules to ensure safety within the kitchen.
Post your Requirement
Enquire Now for Modular Kitchen
Basic Kitchen Safety Rules
The kitchen safety rules you need to follow to ensure that there are no serious accidents or injury while you are cooking include.
Locate : Modular Kitchen Manufacturers in your area
Suggested Read: Clever Kitchen Storage Ideas for Small Kitchens
- Having separate storage space for sharp objects like knives, or store knives in a wooden block to avoid injury
- Do not enter the kitchen wearing loose garments that are they may catch fire accidentally
- Have your hair tied up if it is long. This would prevent it from dropping into the food you are cooking as well as avoid it from catching fire accidentally.
- Dangling jewelry like the bracelets can get tangled around pot handles and result in accidents. Therefore, it has to be avoided when you enter the kitchen
- Cabinets above cooking stove- Having storage cabinets directly above the cooking stove is a recipe for accidents. There is a chance for fire accidents when you reach out for some things in the storage cabinet
- Storage cabinets at high levels- When storage cabinets that store items that are used on a regular basis are placed at high levels it can result in accidents like the containers falling down and hurting you or you falling down while reaching for it. Therefore, it is important to plan the storage area in the kitchen appropriately.
- When you spill something on the floor, it is important to wipe it off immediately to avoid slipping and falling.
- Whenever you are storing poultry products and meat products, it is important to store them away from other items to avoid cross-contamination.
- Prevent storage of or placing paper towels, dish towels etc away from stovetops, oven doors, and any other special cooking equipment to avoid fire accidents
- Exercise caution when you are opening the lid of the steamer, pressure cooker etc. do not open before the pressure has subsided completely. When you open them, open the lids keeping it away from you.
- When you are carrying hot pots from the kitchen to the dining area walk slowly. Also, let people in your family know that you are caring for something hot. Keep your hands away from hot pans. Do not keep the panhandle towards you. you might topple the pan while moving your hands.
- Ensure that your kitchen arrangement is such that the electric appliances are far off from the sink area or areas which can get wet due to some reason.
- Make it a point to switch the main switch off and also unplug it once you have finished cooking using the appliance
- Wear shoes that cover your feet. This would help you to move around easily in the kitchen without bruising your legs. It is also important to choose the type of kitchen flooring with a few things in mind like your cooking style, the length of time you will spend in the kitchen. how long you would be standing in the kitchen, the age of the members of the family, etc. As far as flooring options are concerned apart from the looks, it is important to give importance to the anti-skid properties of the flooring material.
- Never add water to a pan that has oil in it. it would cause the oil to splutter and it might cause a burn.
- After you use the knife, place it in the middle of the counter or table and not on the edge of the same. Stay in one place while you are using the knife. Do not keep moving from one place to another with the knife in hand.
This is in no way an exhaustive list, but, it would be good enough to avert major disasters that usually happen due to lack of awareness about these kitchen safety rules.
Enquire Now for Kitchen Sink
Suggested Read: 12 Kitchen Organization Ideas & Tips
Tips for Kitchen Safety
The Kitchen Safety Tips Include
- Checking the wires of appliances in the kitchen such as cords, plugs, toasters, blenders. Microwave etc once before use and once after use to ensure that they are not frayed and have 3 prongs grounded connection. This will help avert short circuits and other major accidents.
- It is better not to use extension cords in the kitchen. it is to prevent you from tripping over and falling down as well as to avoid electrical shocks accidents caused due to the contact with water that can happen accidentally.
- Do not try to use a damaged or broken appliance on any account. The loss due to the accident it might triggers or causes to the electrical lines might be more expensive than buying a new gadget.
- Use childproof locks for ovens, medicine cabinets, cabinets to store sharp objects and cabinets for storing cleaning supplies
- Turn off the burner, if you are leaving the kitchen for some reason. Do not leave the pots and pans on the stove with the stove on unless you can monitor it once every few minutes.
- Like loose garments, sweaters to are taboo in the kitchen.
- Make sure that the places to store matches and lighters are away from the reach of the children.
- Take care to ensure that the furniture, curtains, and towels to dry dishes are not blocking the vents or heaters
- When there is a grease fire, and you don’t have the fire extinguisher then pouring saltwater or baking powder can be used to extinguish the fire.
- Avoid sharp edges for counters. Cabinets and kitchen furniture. Always go in for blunt and rounded edges.
- Ensure that the kitchen floor is free of grime and there are no strewn items like toys on the floor.
- Never take infants to the cooking area with you.
- Ensure tablecloth edges are tucked in. Toddlers might pull the edges which might result in the pouring of the hot liquids placed on the table.
- Use oven mitts or hot pads to remove baking dishes from the oven and the pots from the stove. However, do not use oven mitts if it gets wet for some reason.
- Even a small thing such as stirring up boiling water can cause burns if it is done carelessly. If you stirrup suddenly or forcefully, the water might bubble up causing severe burns by hitting either your had or any other part of the body when you are standing by the counter.
- Never use the food processor or blender without the appropriate lid. Make sure you remove the jar from the machine when you are transferring the ingredients on to a serving dish. Never use your fingers to remove stubborn food especially when the jar is fixed to the machine.
Suggested Read: Smart Kitchen Appliances that Will Change the Future of Cooking
Effective safety measures in the kitchen refer to how much you are aware of and how keenly you follow the safety rules. Safety measures include choosing the right type of flooring, using the right storage areas for right objects, using fire retardant and water resistant materials for making cabinets, making use of appliances in prime condition, and having the fire extinguisher and the first aid box handy to deal with emergencies.
Follow the safety measures to avoid accidents.
Shop Now – Kitchen Handles