There are many kinds of engineered wooden products used to make furniture and other wooden items for interior and external usage. Particle board is also one of the many engineered wooden products. It is also known as low-density fiberboard or chipboard. The answer to the question what is particle board is that it is a waste wood product made by binding wood chips, sawdust or sawmill shavings with a synthetic resin or some other binder. Urea Formaldehyde is commonly used as a glue for binding the wooden chips. Particle board can be used as a substitute for plywood for making furniture, interior lining of walls and ceilings, substrate for countertops, floor decking, roof sheathing, underlayment, interior decorative paneling, etc.
Post your Requirement
Enquire Now for Plywood
These are the various types of particle board available in the market.
Single layer particle board
Single layer particle board consists of wood particles of same sizes which are pressed together. It is a flat and dense board which can be veneered or plastic laminated but not painted. This is a water-resistant type of particle board but is not waterproof. Single layer particle boards are suitable for interior applications.
Enquire Now for Particle Board
Suggested Read: What are Advantages and Disadvantages of MDF Board
Three-layer particle board
Three-layer particle board consists of a layer of large wood particles sandwiched between two layers made of very small and highly dense wood particles. The amount of resin in the outer layer is more than in the inner layer. The smooth surface of a three-layer particle board is ideal for painting.
Enquire Now for Particle Board
Suggested Read: What is MDF (Board/Wood) – Its Uses & What it is Made of
Graded-Density particle board
Graded-Density particle board consists of a layer of coarse wood particles which is sandwiched between two layers made of fine wood particles. This type of particle board is used to make cabinets and wooden furniture.
Melamine particle board
Melamine particle board is made by fixing a decor paper infused with melamine on the surface of the particle board under high heat and pressure. The wood particles in a melamine particle board are bonded using melamine-urea formaldehyde resin and wax emulsion. This makes it water resistant. Melamine particle board resists scratches. It comes in a plethora of colours and textures. Applications of melamine particle board include wall paneling, furniture, wall cladding, wardrobes and modular kitchen.
Enquire Now for Modular Kitchen
Suggested Read: MDF vs. Plywood vs. Particle Board
Cement-bonded particle board
Cement-bonded particle board has magnesium-based cement or portland cement as the bonding agent. Cement content is 60% while the wooden particles such as wooden shavings, sawdust and wooden chips make up 20% of the composition. Remaining 20% is water. Due to presence of cement, this type of particle board is resistant against moisture, fire, termites and rotting. High moisture resistance makes them suitable for constructing false ceilings, walls and permanent coverings for concrete floors and walls for buildings located in areas with high humidity. They are also used for making fire-resistant furniture products
Suggested Read: What is a Particle Board & Its Different Types
Veneered particle board
Veneered particle board means that it has a thin slice of wood called veneer attached to its surface. Veneered particle board appears like a natural wooden board. Furthermore, a veneered particle board is also more resistant against warping as compared to a conventional particle board.
Enquire Now for Veneer Sheets
Suggested Read: Difference Between 303 and 710 Grade Plywood
Laminated particle board
When a thin laminate sheet is attached to the surface of a plain particle board, it becomes a laminated particle board. Laminate sheet not only improves the aesthetics of the particle board but also increases its durability.
Enquire Now for Laminate Sheets
Suggested Read: What is Laminated Plywood – It’s Types and Design
- Particle boards are used as coverings for hardwood floors. Particle boards protect the hardwood boards against scratches. In addition, particle boards are also used to make floors in temporary structures. Particle boards are also used as underlayment or base for wood flooring, parquet flooring or carpets.
- Particle boards are commonly used to make the core of solid core doors and flush doors. Particle board is a good core material for doors because it has a smooth and flat surface which binds with the door skin easily and exhibits good screw holding capacity for fixing hinges.
- Particle boards are used for making false ceilings. This is because particle boards provide good thermal insulation. They are also used as ceiling tiles in many types of buildings.
- Particle boards are used for making all kinds of furniture such as dressing units, table tops, kitchen cabinets, wardrobes, book shelves, shoe racks, beds, etc.
- Speakers are made of particle boards because they absorb sound. This is also the reason why particle boards are used in walls and floors of recording studios, auditoriums and media rooms.
Enquire Now for Kitchen